Transfers and Discharge


Sometimes during a resident’s stay, a resident and/or family may identify a desire to move to another long term care home. If the request is to transfer to another publicly funded home within BC, the transfer request should be made to the Social Worker, who will liaise with Island Health to initiate the transfer process.

If the request is to transfer to a home in another province, the family should investigate with the appropriate health authority, to understand access criteria and procedures in that province.


Upon a resident’s death and/or discharge from Veterans Memorial Lodge, their personal belongings must be removed within 24 hours.

In extraordinary circumstances, if the family are unable to pack and remove belongings within the 24-hour time frame, extra charges will apply.

Broadmead Care is not responsible for the disposal of unwanted items. There may be fees charged for the disposal of resident-owned items or equipment not removed from the room. Please do not assume Broadmead Care will accept items as donations if they are left in the room.

At this time, we are not able to accept donations of personal belongings, but may accept donations of mobility aids subject to the approval by Therapy Services.