Dear Family and Friends,
We are writing to you today with a few updates from Island Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control, and a reminder about an exciting virtual event coming up in October.
In our most recent update, we wrote about amendments to guidelines for social visits, essential visits, and end of life visits. Today, we’re writing with additional changes to visitor guidelines as we prepare for fall and winter.
Fall and Winter Visits
As we move further into the fall and winter season, with cooler and sometimes less clement weather, we recognize that we need to move visits with loved ones indoors. Effective October 1, 2020, our Care Homes will be ready to welcome you into your resident’s room for designated social visits.
The procedure for arranging a visit will remain much the same (see below). If you have not yet had an opportunity to see your loved one’s room, we will ensure you are escorted to the correct room. Please note the following guidelines with respect to in-resident-room visits:
- Please put on the provided medical grade mask and keep it on for the duration of your visit, including when you’re in the resident’s room.
- Please maintain hand hygiene and appropriate respiratory etiquette at all times.
- Proceed directly to the resident’s room and remain in the room for the duration of your visit.
- Physical touching, embracing, kissing, and holding the hand of your loved one is permitted as long as you are wearing your mask.
- Sitting within two meters is permitted as long as you are wearing your mask.
- If you need to use the washroom, please use the one in the resident’s room.
- If you need to talk to staff, please use the call bell, and they will come to the resident’s room.
- Once your visit is finished, wash or sanitize your hands before leaving the room, and proceed directly to the front desk.
- Complete the visitor sign-out process, and exit the building.
We have good news regarding your four-legged family members – we are very pleased that we are able to welcome pets to visit in our Care Homes again, with the following guidelines:
- Pets may be brought in by a designated visitor for the duration of the visit.
- Pets are only permitted to spend time with the resident you are visiting.
- You should take your pet directly to the resident’s room, and remain there for the duration of the visit.
We have been missing our furry friends, and look forward to seeing their tail wags and happy faces again soon.
Kilometers for Care (Kms4Care) – our first virtual community event!
Join us during the month of October walk, run, cycle, swim, or wheel to raise funds in support of the veterans, seniors, and adults with disabilities who live in our Care Homes. To find out more, visit our website!
Yes, there’s a medal – in the form of a beautifully crafted pewter coaster – with a twist! There are four puzzle pieces that sit inside the coaster. Each piece can be won when you reach your goals for distance, for fundraising, and for participating in our social media challenges! Don’t worry if you don’t have social media – you can email or drop off your entries. There are lots of other prizes to be won and yes, kids can play too. Stay tuned to our website, Facebook page, Instagram account, or Twitter feed (@broadmeadcare) for more information.
Thank you, once again, for your understanding as we move into the fall and winter months. We are confident that all of us in the Broadmead Care community will do everything we can to remain vigilant, for the health and safety of everyone who lives in, works in, or visits our Care Homes.
Scheduling a Visit – Please call:
- Beckley Farm Lodge: 250-381-4421 extension 229
- Designated visitor will arrange for social visits through the Activity Department.
- Arrangements can be made 7 days per week. Please leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Nigel House: 250-475-2050 extension 319
- Designated visitor will arrange for social visits through the Social Worker. If unavailable then a social visit will be arranged through Reception.
- Call between Monday to Friday 9:30 am – 2:30 pm.
- Please leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Rest Haven Lodge: 250-656-0717
- Designated visitors will contact Reception to make arrangements for a visit, 7 days per week. Please leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Veterans Memorial Lodge: 250-658-0311
- Designated visitors will contact Reception at Veterans Memorial Lodge to schedule a social visit.
- Reception is available 7 days per week. Please leave a message if no one is available to take your call.