Veterans Health Centre
The Veterans Health Centre is a partnership between Broadmead Care and Veterans Affairs Canada that was launched in 1999. It provides health, social and recreational services for veterans living in the community.
The Veterans Health Centre promotes health and independence for veterans in the Greater Victoria area. We offer a welcoming, social atmosphere where we serve 160 clients a week.
The centre, which is located adjacent to the Veterans Memorial Lodge at Broadmead, is regarded as a highly successful model of a comprehensive adult day program.
The Veterans Health Centre program includes:
- Geriatric Assessment Program – assessments and interventions by an interdisciplinary team
- Day and Evening Group Health and activity programs 7 days a week
- Bath Program
- Respite Program
- Monthly caregiver education and support group meetings
The objectives of the Veterans Health Centre program are:
- To work in partnership with veterans, families, and community care providers to provide health monitoring and information;
- To provide diagnostic and functional assessments that improve, and/or maintain physical, emotional and social capabilities and promote independence;
- To promote a social atmosphere conducive to developing a renewed interest in life and a sense of dignity and self worth;
- To provide support, education, respite and counseling to veterans, families and other caregivers to relieve their caregiving burden; and
- To provide a smooth transition for the veteran and caregivers to facility care.