Competition: #2017- 12
Position: Therapy Assistant - Regular Full Time
Salary: $22.49 -25.48 (hourly)
Broadmead Care Society is seeking a permanent full time Therapy Assistant to join the Therapy Services team at the Veterans Memorial Lodge at Broadmead. The Therapy Assistant reports directly to the Coordinator of Therapy Services and provides therapy services for residents at the Veterans Memorial Lodge at Broadmead and clients of the Veterans Health Centre.
Under the administrative direction of the Coordinator of Therapy Services, the Therapy Assistant provides services for residents at the Lodge at Broadmead under the clinical direction of the occupational therapists and physical therapists. These services include but are not limited to: exercise and ambulation programs; mobility equipment organization, repair and maintenance; basic mobility equipment adjustments and modifications; and other duties as requested by the therapists. Participation in interdisciplinary team rounds may also be required.
Completion of a Rehabilitation Assistant Program plus one year of recent related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Supplemental course work in geriatric activation and dementia is considered an asset.
Experience providing therapy services in a clinical setting for elderly residents who have cognitive and/or physical impairments and disabilities, and working with an interdisciplinary team. Experience performing this work in a long term care setting is considered and asset.
- Proven knowledge of the principles of dementia care.
- Competency in organization of workplace; operation of equipment and prioritization and management of duties.
- Effective verbal communication skills with residents of varying levels of cognition, families, staff, and therapists.
- Knowledge or aptitude for learning about a wide variety of walkers, manual wheelchairs and other therapeutic equipment, their maintenance and adaptation.
- Effective written communication skills via email and online documentation in clinical records.
- Able to maintain confidentiality in all written and verbal communication related to the resident and families.
- Cooperative and effective manner in problem solving with staff, residents, family members, volunteers and paid companions.
- Capable of working efficiently under supervision, independently, and in collaboration with others.
- Excellent physical strength and flexibility required to operate tools and equipment associated with the position.
- Proficiency in operating standard equipment (computer for e-mail and word processing, and general tools).